Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Discover, learn and grow

This past weekend I wandered down to the Solana Beach Street Festival. At first I thought it was cool. But then I realized it just wasn't my thing. I wandered around amongst the crowd...tried to be interested in the booths and see what things were for sale or what businesses were being promoted. I was going to get some food, but none of the food choices nor the beer tent really appealed to me.  I came to the conclusion that I'm not a street festival type of gal.....and that's OK.  So, I wandered up the street and sat at Java Depot...sucked down a delicious smoothie, hung out and enjoyed the moment. Much more my style.  Low key...no crowds....just chill.

While I was wandering around the festival, I asked myself, "why am I here". I came up with two reasons...The first was I felt like I *had* to be there.  It's a street festival...in my neighborhood...I need to check it out.  The second reason was I was bored and didn't want to sit around the house and didn't want to do chores.  I'm happy I went to the festival. I always thought I liked that sort of thing.  But I don't.  That's not to say I'll never go to another street festival again.  I would most certainly go with a friend and have a good time and laugh and hang out....but the festival would be the backdrop to the more important activity of being with the friend and connecting, sharing, laughing, talking, etc...etc...etc. In this world of facebook and twitter and everything else, let's not forget the simple joy of connecting with people face to face and talking!  I digress from my original thought when starting this post.  Next time I do something or try something new for that matter, I'll take a moment to make sure I'm doing it because I want to....not because I have to, or expect anything, or think it'll be cool to post on FB.  Final thought....also this past weekend, I took a Stand Up Paddleboarding class.  Now, that was amazing. And I'm so glad I tried that because I ended up discovering a new thing I like to do. Life is all about discovery, learning and growing.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment