Friday, January 20, 2012

Springsteen vs DCD

Something I hold very dear to my heart is music.  The right song can compliment my mood perfectly or have the ability to change my mood completely.  Driving down the highway with the iPod on shuffle is one of my favorite things to do.  My 2-1/2 day road trip from Chicago to San Diego was bliss from a musical perspective.

I feel I have come full circle in my musical tastes.  The first CD I ever bought was PIL's Greatest Hits.  From there I followed my sister's lead in the then-called "alternative" scene.  Bands such as Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs and INXS.

Then I went the 80's "electronic" route and couldn't get enough of Depeche Mode (no pun intended), New Order and The Cure.



After that I went off to college.  There I met one person who would change my life forever. He told me to get off the Depeche Mode kick and listen to some Skinny Puppy.  So, I did.  And I loved it.  From there I was all about "industrial". My music buying turned to Skinny Puppy,

Front 242, Ministry, Nitzer Ebb, Meat Beat Manifesto and Front Line Assembly.  But at the same time I was discovering brit-pop bands such as The Stone Roses, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, The Charlatans UK and shoegaze bands such as Slowdive and Spaceman 3. I was just soaking in everything.  I went to some amazing shows, met a lot of my musical idols.  It was a great time in my life.


After college I became less and less "in the know" on what new bands were out there.  Every time I went record shopping (which was also occurring less frequently), I looked for stuff by the same bands I had always been listening to.

I was introduced to a few new bands such as Adult., Man or Astroman, Gorillaz and Galaxie 500.

And then a series of events lead me to triathlon and triathlon training and the friends I started hanging out with were a complete 180 from my previous friendships.  I started listening to a lot more pop music and discovered some of it I just really loved. A lot of what I started listening to was related in some way or another to training.  A lot of songs that would get me pumped up from artists such as P!nk, Beastie Boys, Greenday and Eminem.

Then in '11, similar to college, I met the 2nd person who would change my life again.  He introduced me to Bruce Springsteen.  And while I always *knew* who Bruce Springsteen was, I never really paid attention to the music.  When I started paying attention to the songs, I discovered something truly amazing.  Such a great artist and songwriter and performer.

Now fast forward to 2012.  Two bands are touring this year.  Two bands that couldn't be further apart on the musical spectrum, yet move me in much the same way.  Dead Can Dance and Bruce Springsteen.  DCD is one of the most awe inspiring concerts I've ever seen.  I've had the pleasure of seeing them twice live.  Both times brought me to tears.  Lisa Gerrard's voice is something that can not be described in words.  It is something that can only be heard.  And to see Lisa and Brandon perform with an entire band and array of beautiful different instruments is just awesome.  I have only seen Springsteen once, back in '84 before I really knew what a great artist he is.  I've seen a lot of you tube videos of his performances and I'm looking forward to seeing him in concert and being blown away.  I think it will be fantastic.

I hope the music never dies.  There is something fundamentally awesome about walking into a record store and just browsing.  Reading liner notes, soaking in the cover art and hanging around a bunch of other folks who just love music. It's no surprise that two of my favorite movies are "High Fidelity" and "Pirate Radio" Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment